Windshield Repair Services in Durham
When you notice a chip on your windshield, it’s important to get it repaired as soon as possible so that the damage doesn’t grow and cause bigger problems. With windshield repair from Glass Solutions, it’s not necessary to replace the entire windshield for a small chip. Our team of auto glass specialists is ready to come out to your Durham location and repair your windshield.
The Glass Solutions team has more than 100 years of combined experience and is committed to providing you with excellent service with unbeatable results and competitive prices. We serve Durham, Raleigh, Cary, Garner, and surrounding cities.
Do I Need My Windshield Repaired or Replaced?
It can sometimes be difficult to determine whether you need to have your windshield replaced or repaired. When you notice a crack or chip in your windshield, call the experts at Glass Solutions. We have the experience to assess your damage and recommend whether you need to replace your windshield or whether it can be repaired. We will recommend what is necessary to maintain the structural integrity of the glass.
If your windshield has a recent chip that is smaller than ½” in diameter or a single crack that is three inches long or less, we can fix it. When it comes to windshield repair, we look at:
- The size of the chip or crack
A small, new chip in the center of the windshield is easily fixed, but a long crack on the edge of the windshield that can quickly spread or affect visibility would mean the glass should be replaced.
The Windshield Repair Process at Glass Solutions
Windshield repair is considered a permanent solution, not a temporary fix. It is designed for minor chips and cracks in your windshield. Our process includes several easy steps:
- If you have a chip, the rough edges are smoothed, loose slivers are cleaned out, and all of the air is removed from the void.
- A clear resin is placed into the crack or chip to bond the glass to ensure a durable repair.
- After it cures, it will prevent any damage from spreading and minimize the appearance of the crack or chip.
This is an easy and quick process that takes care of your windshield for years to come. While you may be tempted to purchase a DIY Windshield Repair Kit, repairing a windshield isn’t as easy as you may think. If there are any slivers of glass left or air remaining between the void and the resin, more cracks can form. When you have a windshield or sunroof that needs repairs, it’s best to call the professionals at Glass Solutions.
The Benefits of Windshield Repair
When you decide to call Glass Solutions to repair your windshield, you’re getting these benefits:
- Structural integrity: When you get a windshield chip or crack repaired it is meant to last and will strengthen the surrounding glass with a powerful resin. Getting your windshield fixed as quickly as possible is the best idea.
- Peace of mind: Repairing your windshield will give you peace of mind that your glass won’t shatter.
- Significantly less expensive: The price of repairing your windshield typically depends on the make, model, and year of your vehicle. Repairing your windshield glass is significantly less expensive than replacing it. In most cases, repairs can be completed for between $75 and $200. Replacements start at $200 and can be as expensive as $1,000.
- Fast: Our experienced team can quickly repair a damaged windshield and have you back out on the road in no time.
Windshield Repair FAQs
Can you fix a cracked windshield without replacing the entire windshield?
Durham auto glass repair professionals are able to fix a cracked or chipped windshield without replacing the entire windshield. However, it’s important to note that a cracked windshield may need to be replaced in its entirety if the damage is widespread or if the chip penetrates beyond the top layer of glass. To get an opinion from a member of our auto glass repair team who can determine whether your windshield can be repair or needs replacing, you may call us at 919-772-1007 or fill out our online form.
Do windshield repair kits work?
A windshield repair kit serves as a short-term solution for a cracked windshield. It will allow you to get back on the road until you can get to a trusted auto glass repair shop. Repairing your windshield with a kit will stop the crack from spreading, but it won’t cover up or fix the damage. To that end, it’s important to have your windshield repaired by a trusted Durham auto glass professional who provides reliable windshield repair services. Glass Solutions has over 100 years of combined experience and our team is ready to help you today!
How much does it cost to repair a broken windshield?
The cost to repair a broken windshield varies based on the severity of damage, your vehicle’s make/model, and the type of windshield replacement service you need. On average, your standard auto glass repair shops charge between $250-400 to fix a broken windshield.
However, Glass Solutions, a trusted, local auto glass repair shop charges only $95 in-store windshield repair and $150 for mobile windshield replacement (i.e. we’ll come to you). You may fill out out our form to request a custom price quote for windshield repair.
How long do I have to wait to drive my car after having the windshield repaired?
In order to ensure your new windshield is properly set, we advise you to wait at least one hour before driving your vehicle.
What can I do to keep my windshield strong and resiliant to breaking?
The following tips from our Durham auto glass repair specialists will help keep your new windshield in the best condition possible.
- Avoid car washes and heavy water pressure for 48 hours after your windshield is repaired.
- Vent a window in your car to reduce the air pressure in your car. This is a great tip to practice for 24-hours after your windshield is repaired.
- Do not remove the retention tape for 48 hours.
- Close your car door gently.
- Avoid driving on gravel roads and driveways as loose stones may get stirred up and penetrate your windshield.